Wednesday 25 March 2009

My first experience with the native american headdress

When I was first shown the headdress I felt a varied array of emotions. The first thing that I noticed when looking at the headdress was the impression that it made. What I mean by this is when I looked at it I felt humbled, I imagine that’s what you feel when you see the crown jewels. The grandness of the headdress is one of the first things that it shows you. The second thing that I noticed was the craftsman ship of the headdress. When you look at it closely you see all of the feathers and the intricate stitching and how it has all been painstakingly brought together.
When I looked at it, it seemed to me to very natural, what I mean by this is that you wouldn’t normally associate an Item of clothing with being natural. I think though that because the headdress has been made from bird feathers and has been made using material that has all been sourced from the plains, that the item becomes a amalgamation of all these different parts but still comes together in such a natural way that you almost don’t question if it has been made or weather it was just grown.
What else I found interesting about the headdress was found. The fact that this native American headdress had been found in a museum in Bristol. I though that this was quite sad. Something that would have been made in such a way with so much dedication and love, has wound up in a different country, in a place that couldn’t possibly be father away from its original home. Not just that though the fact that it wasn’t even being exhibited for people to see. It was locked away in a museum that wasn’t even aware of its existence. I think that one of the main things that I took away from seeing the headdress was the fact that I felt it was in such an alien place. All I could think of when I saw the headdress was how I thought that it should be returned to its own country and how it was a little disappointing to see something that should be in its own country and restored to its full glory being underappreciated in a museum in Bristol.

No comments:

Post a Comment